[CS-FSLUG] outdoors wifi

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Wed Sep 5 13:27:10 CDT 2012

Cool.  Hope it goes well for you.  Glad you are thinking both about
wifi and content filtering...  :)

*WIFI coverage:
*With Wifi, there are a few considerations.  Most soho (Small Office,
HOme) wireless access points have a limited number of simultaneous
connections (some devices, as low as 32 connections). If you get
higher-end WAPs, you can get a lot more people connected to each device.

So you need to come up with a balance of enough wireless access
points scattered around and big antennas.  You can put a nice tower
somewhere and attach a powerful antenna and have full coverage for
your park, only to find that your WAP cannot support all the
connections.  But scattering 20 different WAPs around can be expensive.

*Content filtering / Captive Portal:
*If you have multiple WAPs, it will be easier to manage the content
filtering / captive portal on one device instead of doing it on a lot
of different WAPs.  I would recommend a pfSense with Dan's Guardian
or something like that that has a little more horsepower than a WAP.
When you get a lot of people surfing / streaming at the same time, a
WAP starts to slow down.

You can do opendns filtering, which I used to recommend a lot more
readily than I do these days.  It is a pretty effective filtering
solution and very easy to set up and manage, but is probably pretty
expensive for what you are trying to do.

     - Tim Young