[CS-FSLUG] Ethernet Testing

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue Sep 4 22:05:13 CDT 2012

Hi there,
I am assuming that, with your tester, all of the lights show that
they are connected to their respective pins?
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 4
5 - 5
6 - 6
7 - 7
8 - 8
Or how does your tester show it is working?

If all your pins are connected this way, and you are not getting any
lights at all on the WAP, my first guess is that you need to have a
"crossover" wire instead of a straight-through.  But that is easily
tested.
Can you: take another, short wire and plug it into the SAME port of
the switch and the SAME port of the WAP and see if it lights up or
behaves in any way differently than your buried cable?
If it does not work, you can see if a single port of your switch is a
"crossover port".  Some older devices were this way.  If this is the
case, and you need your crossover to connect your switch to something
else, you may need to rewire the cable to be a crossover cable.

If it is not an issue with a crossover cable, then I would need to
hear "how your tester says it works" before I try to give more advice
for testing, etc.  :)

     - Tim Young