[CS-FSLUG] Ethernet Testing

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Sep 4 21:44:18 CDT 2012

I am trying to run Ethernet over a buried Cat 5e cable that worked OK with my cable tester I bought on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1OA1O/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00). However, when I plug a wireless access point in at the far end and plug the end by the existing network into a switch, nothing lights up on the switch end and the WAP's lan light blinks but never goes on solid.

Any suggestions how I can figure out what is going wrong?

I have a few suspicions:

1.) The wire is damaged underground (I hope not, because the conduit doesn't really have room for another cable pull).

2.) The ends have been stripped too far back. The twisted pairs were untwisted and the outer sheath removed for a foot or two of the cable that was wound in the box at the end of the conduit. Do you suppose this might be introducing too much interference? I hate to cut off all this extra cabling if I'm not certain this is the problem, but I'm suspicious...

Thanks for any suggestions you might have...

Blessings,
Tim