[CS-FSLUG] Are ssh shared keys in the wild?

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Wed May 30 20:31:36 CDT 2012

In the general sense, it is not good to disable the root password.
Some distros require the root pw before you can boot into single-user
mode.  Also, if you boot up and fsck fails, it asks for the root
password before you can drop back into fsck-mode.  A savvy techie can
get around those through a number of different approaches, but you
need to know what you are getting into.

If a generic someone were to simply ask me if they should disable the
root password, I would say "it is usually not a good idea."  If they
told me they wanted to disable it, we would need get into a
discussion about what distro they were using, how would they deal
with it if the box would not boot, etc.  If they could answer enough
information, then it is fine.

Does that answer your question?

     - Tim Young