[CS-FSLUG] Are ssh shared keys in the wild?

Peter Vasquez peter at vasquez.cc
Wed May 30 22:29:58 CDT 2012

With the most popular distros being Mint (based on Ubuntu), or Ubuntu
and its derivatives, the use of a locked root account has become
popular (or a 'standard' if you look at install base).  Single user
mode is not a problem with a locked/disabled root password as Ubuntu
and all of its derivates utilize a properly patched sulogin, which
handles this case specifically.  Going back to the original question
posed by Mark, what I like about using linode to host a linux vm is
that data partitions can be separated, and a clean vm containing only
the OS restored if/when any problems should arise.  A little
pre-planning and forethought (as well as routine maintenance and log
auditing) goes a long way. :)

--
Peter