[CS-FSLUG] Are ssh shared keys in the wild?

Josiah Ritchie josiah at josiahritchie.com
Wed May 30 20:19:59 CDT 2012

Why do you say it is a bad idea to disable the root password? I'm
running several ubuntu and redhat-derivative servers. The only time
I've had problems is when someone messes with the sudoers file who
doesn't know what they are doing. Then it's just boot into single user
mode and fix it. In the cases I've had to do that, they ere VMs so it
was possible to do that remotely from the host.

I disable it so that people trying to guess have no chance of
acquiring root access without guessing another user account name.
Tim's pretty smart about such things so now I'm wondering what
disaster I have coming my way.

Another thing I do is use a different SSH key per computer so that if
my laptop gets stolen, it is pretty easy to disable that ssh key
without causing much more trouble. I've been looking at Puppet lately
and found it is pretty simple to automate the setup of the
authorized_keys file for my user account and remove them using this
software. I'm looking forward to digging into this more.

JSR/

http://about.me/josiah