[CS-FSLUG] Apple tightens its grip on developers with Mac App Store

zerothis baud zerothis23 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 11:08:29 CDT 2010

On 10/29/10, christiansource-request at ofb.biz
<christiansource-request at ofb.biz> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Davo Smith
> <christiansource at davosmith.co.uk> wrote:
>> Remember the difference is a bit like someone driving their car in
>> first gear all the time, because no one has taught them how to change
>> gear, rather than because someone has welded a large metal plate to
>> the gearstick to stop you moving it.
>>
> But nobody's done that! You have accused Apple of something that they
> have not done! In fact, even with the App store, it will still be
> easier to load your own software from the internet than with Ubuntu.
> BTW, from my wife's perspective, the gear _is_ welded in first. She
> doesn't know how, and doesn't trust what she reads to know what to do.
> She is the deer in the headlamps. I administer her computer, just like
> the others in the house, so it's not a big deal, but your portrayal of
> the welded first gear is a misrepresentation.
>

> --
> ?-Jon Glass
> Krakow, Poland
> <jonglass at usa.net>
>
> "I don't believe in philosophies. I believe in fundamentals." --Jack
> Nicklaus

Actually, what Apple is doing could be worse than the welded metal
plate. Its like an apparatus that can remotely lock the car into first
gear at any moment. Could happen after the driver has learned to
shift, and while their in 6th gear going 75mph down I-5.
<http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1709>
While most only use their Mac as a toy, some of them have more
critical functions such as paying bills, manage investments or
banking, or even run businesses. And, scary as it sounds, I have seen
them in doctor's offices, hospitals, and pharmacies.