[CS-FSLUG] Apple tightens its grip on developers with Mac App Store

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Oct 29 14:43:29 CDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 1:34 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> But here's a question. How does this compare to the Ubuntu Software
> Center. In most Linux repos, in fact, using their gateway is just
> about the only real way to install software. Go outside that, and you
> better know what you are doing! Theoretically, you can add sources to
> Ubuntu and other distros, but I can guarantee you, my wife, who uses
> Ubuntu daily has no idea how to do that! So she is stuck in the world
> of Ubuntu Software Center. Curious what others think... (one could say
> that the onerous terms Apple gives is the issue, but Ubuntu has a
> tight control over their own software, only opening different levels
> with scary disclaimers, and a typical user [like my wife] wouldn't
> understand what's going on, and would never open up those other
> levels--and just do without.) The real question is, is this all a bad
> thing???

Good points. Some of the things you mention echo my column on OFB last week:

http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/679.html

I'm betting the Mac App Store will be big. Of course, with the restrictions, I fully expect sideloading to remain necessary, since I can't imagine Adobe and Microsoft playing along. Apple seems to realize Office and Photoshop are necessary (evils).

	-Tim