[CS-FSLUG] Apple tightens its grip on developers with Mac App Store

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Oct 29 14:50:34 CDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 11:08 AM, zerothis baud wrote:

> While most only use their Mac as a toy, some of them have more
> critical functions such as paying bills, manage investments or
> banking, or even run businesses. And, scary as it sounds, I have seen
> them in doctor's offices, hospitals, and pharmacies.

I think that is a massive understatement. Most people I know decidedly use their Mac as something more than a toy. Here at seminary, about half the students seem to depend on a Mac as their primary machine. Amongst incoming students, the percentage is surely quite a bit higher.

I don't think I've seen anyone using a Linux laptop on campus, incidentally. But that has a lot to do with software. To make it through the Biblical studies classes, you really need either Accordance (Mac) or BibleWorks (Windows). You might be able to survive on Logos, but SWORD won't pass the required muster.

Personally, I don't see Apple locking down the Mac. I think it would be more likely they will continue to move iOS into the Mac's territory. Apple likes control, but they also like happy customers.

	-Tim