[CS-FSLUG] Oracle, OO.org and LibreOffice

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Mon Oct 18 13:39:21 CDT 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:54:47 -0500 (CDT)
Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Marco Tedaldi wrote:
>

> > Thats the great thing on Open source. If you don't agree, you can
> > fork. time will tell which side is "right". Many forks have led to
> > interesting developments and late to remerges, where the features
> > of both branches have been merged again to the benefit of all users.

> As for distros moving to LibreOffice, it's funny quite a few had
> already switched to Go-oo (SUSE, Ubuntu, etc). Now I'm reading
> suggestions Libre will end up being absorbed by, or merge with,
> Go-oo. Don't know how true, but I feel sure Go-oo can use some better
> organization in one thing: Yum-based clients have no idea what they
> need to install and nothing on the site will help you figure it out.
> They very much need some user documentation, because the tell you
> absolutely nothing beyond "install this release package for a Yum
> repo."

I used to have a small ad account with yahoo, and was advised that I'd
have to sign up with Bing to continue having ads served due to their
ad-sharing agreement. I looked into that, and they wanted me to install
Moonlight which requires Mono. I decided to pass, after doing some
research on Moonlight.

All of that as background for my question, I thought I read somewhere
during my research that Go-oo might tie into Mono? Do you know whether
that's the case or not? If it does, I can guarantee you that Redhat
wouldn't go there. (no pun intended... haha)

Cia