[CS-FSLUG] Oracle, OO.org and LibreOffice

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Mon Oct 18 14:54:47 CDT 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Marco Tedaldi wrote:

> Thats the great thing on Open source. If you don't agree, you can fork. time
> will tell which side is "right". Many forks have led to interesting
> developments and late to remerges, where the features of both branches have
> been merged again to the benefit of all users.

Yes. I found out recently, for example, Alpine had a fork as Realpine
(or "re-alpine"), but the original developers froze their project
anyway. I've built the new and I'm using it right now.

As for distros moving to LibreOffice, it's funny quite a few had already
switched to Go-oo (SUSE, Ubuntu, etc). Now I'm reading suggestions Libre
will end up being absorbed by, or merge with, Go-oo. Don't know how
true, but I feel sure Go-oo can use some better organization in one
thing: Yum-based clients have no idea what they need to install and
nothing on the site will help you figure it out. They very much need
some user documentation, because the tell you absolutely nothing beyond
"install this release package for a Yum repo."

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/
Kiln of the Soul - http://soulkiln.org/