[CS-FSLUG] Oracle, OO.org and LibreOffice

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Tue Oct 19 05:29:51 CDT 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Cia Watson wrote:

> I thought I read somewhere during my research that Go-oo might tie
> into Mono? Do you know whether that's the case or not? If it does, I
> can guarantee you that Redhat wouldn't go there. (no pun intended...
> haha)

Well, a major sponsor for Go-oo is Novell, but I don't know if we can
say they actually control it; "dominate" may be more correct. My
impression is this is simply the result of circumstances. Sun had the
original, and I rather doubt something as massive as OO.org would not
have arisen without some big pockets behind it, regardless of motive.
Thus, I tend to see Novell dominance as just changing dance partners.

This naturally means Mono shows up, but I understand it is merely a
module which need not even be installed for Go-oo to work. However, last
time I checked, Red Hat still has Mono in the repositories. (Since I
hate it for being such a horrific resource hog, I try to avoid it.) The
big sparkle for Go-oo is that you can do far more with it, as all the
patches rejected by Sun (now Oracle) are given a chance to work, but
they are all modules, not dependencies.

As always, it's possible I am completely mistaken on some of this.

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/
Kiln of the Soul - http://soulkiln.org/