[CS-FSLUG] Oracle, OO.org and LibreOffice

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmx.ch
Mon Oct 18 14:15:24 CDT 2010

Am 18.10.2010 01:24, schrieb Ed Hurst:
> Is there anyone on the list competent to comment on what appears a
> rather ugly disagreement on the OO.org planning council? I don't want to
> steer the conversation in any particular direction; I'm just curious if
> someone I know is close to the story, and if they'll comment.

A bunch of people had gotten the feeling, that Oracle would not really
support the development of OO. but since the name OpenOffice belongs to
sun which was aquired by oracle, they had to choose a new name.

Thats the great thing on Open source. If you don't agree, you can fork.
time will tell which side is "right". Many forks have led to interesting
developments and late to remerges, where the features of both branches
have been merged again to the benefit of all users.

Now oracle seems to be a bit upset about this fork and clings to the
name OpenOffice. The refuse to join the Organisation behind libre office
ansay, that they want are committed to develop OO themselfes. Only time
will tell.

Last know to me is, that Oracle has asked the people that support labre
office to leave the open office project.

I think, most distros will soon switch to libre office in favor of
openoffice.

Greets

Marco

http://medienkommentare.blogspot.com/ (in german)