[CS-FSLUG] GDM, KDM and Services

Eduardo Sánchez lists at sombragris.org
Sun Nov 14 10:03:40 CST 2010

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:08:45 -0600 (CST)
Subject: [CS-FSLUG] GDM, KDM and Services

[snip]
> Suppose I wanted to run a much lighter login manager (SLiM, XDM,
> etc.), and FVWM2 as my desktop. I still want sound, HAL/DBus and so
> forth. In BSD (which uses OSS, not pulseaudio or ALSA), I know how
> this works, but I don't know much about it with Linux. If I install
> CentOS 6.0 (when it is released) where would I begin looking to find
> a list of services which GDM/KDM starts, which typically aren't
> started otherwise?
>

> Ed Hurst

Namesake, right now I run Slim as my login manager and I am quite
pleased with it. It's not perfect, but it fits the bill

As for your question, I think a simple solution would be best:

1. After booting, put your box in init 3 (text-only). As root,

# ps auxw > init3_baseline.txt

2. In another boot, boot in init 5 (graphical login) with your login
manager of choice. Then, as root,

# ps auxw > init5_baseline.txt

3. Then, a diff between those two files should give you the answer.

As a side remark, I don't use GDM but I have used KDM quite a bit; and
in Slack I didn't see any additional services started. But then, Slack
is Slack and CentOS/RH is different.

Blessings,

Eduardo

--