[CS-FSLUG] GDM, KDM and Services

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun Nov 14 10:53:17 CST 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010, Eduardo Sánchez wrote:

> 1. After booting, put your box in init 3 (text-only). As root,
>
> # ps auxw > init3_baseline.txt
>
> 2. In another boot, boot in init 5 (graphical login) with your login
> manager of choice. Then, as root,
>
> # ps auxw > init5_baseline.txt
>
> 3. Then, a diff between those two files should give you the answer.

Great minds think alike. I had thought of this, and checked ps under
both situations while playing with RHEL 6.0-Beta.

The difficulty with this approach is I find too many of the items
cryptic, and there are a lot of them. A great many services, it seems,
are initiated as children of some other process, and I just don't know
enough to trace them out. However, if someone is not able to offer
something simpler, I realize I won't have much choice.

Naturally I'm going to be writing this up as a HOWTO submission for OfB,
so whatever I end up doing should be as simple as possible. At the same
time, I really want to know for my own use.

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/
Kiln of the Soul - http://soulkiln.org/