[CS-FSLUG] GDM, KDM and Services

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun Nov 14 08:08:45 CST 2010

Blessed Sunday morning to you all.

Red Hat and clones install GNOME by default, and rely heavily on GDM. If
you select KDE, then it's KDM. Both of these are linked to a number of
services which are started automatically. Some of them are frankly
essential, and many of them are almost useless unless you are running
one of the big DEs.

Suppose I wanted to run a much lighter login manager (SLiM, XDM, etc.),
and FVWM2 as my desktop. I still want sound, HAL/DBus and so forth. In
BSD (which uses OSS, not pulseaudio or ALSA), I know how this works, but
I don't know much about it with Linux. If I install CentOS 6.0 (when it
is released) where would I begin looking to find a list of services
which GDM/KDM starts, which typically aren't started otherwise?

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/
Kiln of the Soul - http://soulkiln.org/