[CS-FSLUG] Macs and Linux use in CD Vol 80 - Issue 11

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Fri Nov 5 13:51:45 CDT 2010

Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> writes:
> The big problem there, from a seminary student's perspective, is that
> we are required to use BHS.

OK, well...We can't help you on that front, unless BHS itself has
suddenly become publicly accessible and distributable.

> Having morphological tagging is awfully handy, not only as a cheat
> sheet, but also for doing rapid word studies. Does Xiphos allow
> searching for grammatical constructions these days?

Yes.  Always has, in fact.

First, with indices built for fast ("lucene") search, you can search for
Strong's references with e.g. "lemma:G2316" (θεοῦ).

But second, unfortunately, I learned just today that morphology is not
part of the currently-defined document descriptor set to be indexed.  So
fast lucene search isn't available for morph.  Nonetheless, they can be
searched, but it's with the blunt through-the-text search, which means
it takes 10 or 20 seconds.  Sorry.  Your solution for now is to change
the search type in Advanced Search to "Attribute," check proper status
bits on the Attribute tab, and just search on unqualified tags like
"n-nsm".  Strong's can be searched in Attribute mode, just without the
"lemma:" qualifier.  And footnote content is also bluntly searchable
that way, too.  See the adv.search screenshot:

https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=5528&ssid=137874

Note that you can do search refinement, by doing one search for
something, then change to a different search, over just the current
results of the first search.  This is really useful for narrowing what
you want, especially when you were not entirely sure what you were
looking for to begin with.  So search for a word, then narrow that to a
particular Strong's reference, then search that result for morph tags...

There will soon be some new search modularization added to the engine,
so that it will provide the missing morph indexing and a number of other
things, including a search syntax that Accordance and BibleWorks users
are familiar with, e.g. "G2532@* *@N-NSM", based on an internal
tokenizing syntax of Lemma at Morph.  (Weird, if you ask me.)  I guess
those user types will get all hot 'n bothered 'n happy over gaining that.

We released Xiphos 3.1.4 just a couple weeks ago; some administrative
nonsense is keeping all the per-platform builds from having been
completed, but they'll be done soon.