[CS-FSLUG] Macs and Linux use in CD Vol 80 - Issue 11

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Nov 1 11:11:04 CDT 2010

sjm <sjm.mlists at gmail.com> writes:
> The one other problem specifically with Bible programs is that many of
> the copyright holders of the popular translations haven't (won't?)
> release their translation to the SWORD project.

We (Sword Project) have attempted repeatedly to get NIV -- no dice.
NASB is in progress (still, *sigh*), and will surely be finalized.
NKJV, RSV/NRSV, all the other NIV variants (TNIV, NIrV), Amp, 3MB, CEV,
NAB, NCV, NLT...  all stuck in "we won't deal with you" mode.
Often the manifestation of "we won't deal with you" is actually "we
won't even acknowledge your inquiries, and we will pretend you don't
exist."

We do have ESV and NET.

I'm the person who has pursued NIV most directly, as well as RSV/NRSV,
with a smattering of attempted access for several others.  The owners of
RSV/NRSV actually said, quote, "we do not authorize any open source uses
of the RSV/NRSV."  They declined to engage me on their reasoning for the
exclusion.  An educated guess is that they equate open source with lack
of security, notwithstanding that we support locked (encrypted) modules
just fine, and also notwithstanding that everyone on the planet lives in
open source-related environments when they use SSL-protected financial
transactions.

NIV's owners like to pretend we don't exist.

For those who critique Sword Project apps, by all means don't just say
they suck.  Say why.  We listen.  Really, honest.  For Xiphos, drop me a
private note to talk about it.  When I see one person write "It's just
horrid" and another write "It's the most lovely thing ever," I know both
are outliers at either end of the bell curve.  Reasonable and especially
thoughtful critique from those somewhere in, say, the rough middle 2/3
of the curve are heartily welcome to offer any input you think is
appropriate.

--karl,
xiphos project admin