[CS-FSLUG] Macs and Linux use in CD Vol 80 - Issue 11

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Mon Nov 1 11:08:46 CDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
> It seems to me if the SWORD Project could create some kind of online store environment, it could go along way to fixing that element.

There is already a mechanism for installing copy-protected modules.
There is only one publication (in the German language, no less) that I
am aware of, however, that has taken advantage of this. American
publishers are more worried about locking in exclusives, and making
big bucks to bother with the Sword Project...

> A double bonus if it could create an iPhone app (and, perhaps, an Android app) that would sync with the store. Then, it could build up enough users buying stuff to get publishers interested... Maybe. Getting publishers to move isn't easy.

Well, there's PocketSword, and it also already has the means of
dealing with those copy-protected works.

I know you mean a "store", but I'm not sure how feasible that would
be. Worth looking into how that one module gets purchased, installed,
etc.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland