[CS-FSLUG] OT: The Hidden Dangers of Peacemakers

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Jan 9 14:01:39 CST 2010

On Jan 9, 2010, at 12:37 PM, Jason P. Franklin wrote:

> As for the PDC thing... the two have nothing to do with each other.
> That accusation (if there is anything to accuse of) is something of a
> non-sequitor.

Tim didn't make the connection, but I will more concretely. The connection
is a similarity in methods. I'll bite, and keep my nomex underwear on. ;-)

We know that Peacemakers proclaims it was designed to prevent the very
thing which happened to Tim. He reports it was the people staffing the
program management which perverted it. We know PDC is not supposed to
destroy churches, but it does. It does so when program staffers training
church leadership instruct them to do things contrary to the spirit of PDC.

There are numerous news stories where large portions of church membership
were effectively disenfranchised and tossed out. They were tossed out
because they dared to resist changes in church management which came in
the door with PDC training (not always related to the study of the books).
It is the people who run the sessions for PDC pastoral training who teach
the pastors to become tyrants. It is the training from the staff of
Peacemaker who have pressed similar behavior.

The material does not encourage these things, but the apparatchiks who go
forth and train church leadership are the ones doing it. I suppose if I
took the time to look up all the references, there are similar problems
cited in articles, news reports, etc., showing this is a trend in a whole
range of modern church management programs and so forth, bringing
corporate style church management to the fore. PDC can be reduced to
self-help psychology and successful living, with church management by
standard corporate practices and ethics. Peacemakers reflects the same
corporate philosophy, the same underlying assumptions about human
behavior. It objectifies and manages behavior rather scientifically, but
it is behavioral science of a particular school.

Take the time to analyze not just the material, but the way things are
done. This is not slander, nor unsupported generalizations, but I admit I
do not have a massive collection of footnotes and resources. I'm not on a
crusade to stop these programs; there are plenty who do that better than
I. You don't learn about counterfeits by studying the samples of fakes,
but by knowing the genuine article so well forgeries are easy to spot.
Churches were never meant to be modern corporations, but spiritual
families. Any compromise with that principle brings trouble; the degree of
compromise predicts the degree of trouble.

I don't expect many here to agree with me, but I would assert it's not a
non-sequitur.

--
Ed Hurst