[CS-FSLUG] OT: The Hidden Dangers of Peacemakers

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Jan 9 13:20:09 CST 2010

Jason, my life became a living hell for more than six months last year
because of this program. I plan to write about it over time in a more
organized fashion, but it essentially boiled down to this: I became
aware of problems managerially and legally with the pastor of my
former church, I followed the basic, Biblical peacemaking steps to
deal with it (yes, even the ones Peacemaker would advocate), and the
pastor used the materials of Peacemaker Ministries to justify
character assassination, telephone harassment and more. Not only to
me, but, since it was the family church for generations, he and other
leaders in the church did the same to my mother as well.

It culminated in a systematic attempt to get me thrown out of seminary
on trumped up charges as well as hugely slanderous charges against my
mother.

I agree these things are not consistent with Peacemakers' principles,
but the simple matter is that by mixing legally binding documents with
prooftexted Scripture, elders and pastors are given a massive upper
hand. I never signed informed consent documents, though I was under
massive pressure to do so. To their credit, Peacemakers themselves
told me to get a lawyer to advise me. I did. I found out that the
boilerplate documents from the organization can be used to legally
compel people into Peacemaker approved mediation and/or legally
binding arbitration.

I find no justification in Scripture for giving elders and pastors
legally binding authority over people. Just imagine if it had been
that way in early NT times. Peter could not have boldly declared he
would follow God rather than men in Acts 5. The basic principles are
OK, though I think they are oversimplified.

But mixing the law and Scripture is a dangerous attempt at pseudo-
theocracy. If the elders are not slandering, they ought not fear the
law. But when broad and unnecessary legal protections are given, broad
abuses can happen. I've heard others' stories in recent times too. The
program has such potential for abuse, I can't justify supporting it
even if 95% of the time it does great things. For in those other
times, it destroys lives.

Oh, and the pastor and leaders that aren't following the spirit of the
program? The pastor is a founder of a major regional Peacemaker
endorsed mediation/counseling organization and the Peacemakers
"Certified Christian Conciliators" at that organization were the ones
advising him on what he did. The church even hosts major, directly
endorsed Peacemaker Ministries events.

	-Tim