[CS-FSLUG] Are You Going Rogue?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Nov 26 01:17:50 CST 2009

Are You Going Rogue?
Jonathan Falwell

Sarah Palin's much touted new book "Going Rogue" hit the shelves this
week with much hoopla, including a high profile book tour.  Predictably,
Mrs. Palin has been met with the standard disparagement from many
liberals because she does not fit the leftist ideal of the feminist,
pro-choice woman.

While I have not yet read her book, I am intrigued by Mrs. Palin,
specifically her nonconformist character and the way in which she has
captivated the hearts of conservative America.

In fact, her recent reappearance in the national spotlight has caused me
to reflect on how "going rogue" can relate to the church and Christians
today.

You know, as Christians, we have a tried-and-true roadmap for life in
the Bible, the ultimate truth that is the Word of God.  We should never
even consider going rogue in terms of countering or contradicting any
part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

However, in terms of what our culture has defined for people in this
modern age, we should certainly be counteracting those policies.
Society promotes concepts of: nebulous and changing truth; situational
ethics; diversity of faith; sexual experimentation; and an often callous
disregard for human life.

In response we, as followers of the living Christ, should be: living
holy lives; promoting the never-changing truth and salvation of God's
Word; serving as vocal ambassadors of and apologists for Jesus Christ
within the culture that rejects Him.

In effect, living a life of consistent Christian character means that we
are essentially going rogue against the popular notions of compromise
and convenience.  Developing righteous character, which means often
walking that lonely path least traveled, should be our first priority
for the sake of championing the Gospel.

Longtime Falwell friend J.C. Watts once stated, "Character is doing the
right thing when nobody's looking.  There are too many people who think
that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's
wrong is to get caught."

Such policies should never invade the church, nor should they infect our
personal lives.  Our churches must be about the business of training and
raising up people of assured and assertive faith.

One of the first columns I wrote following my father's death in May 2007
was titled, "Are You Controversial?"  I noted how Dad had lived his life
in near continual controversy largely because he lived with what has
been described as audacious faith.  As a result, God blessed Dad in
immeasurable ways and his legacy continues in amazing ways today through
the worldwide outreaches of Thomas Road Baptist Church and Liberty
University.

Of course, when we are living lives of positive, fruitful faith that the
world sees as foolhardy we are going to face criticism and attacks from
those who oppose the Gospel.  That's frequently the price of going rogue.

Just ask Sarah Palin.  Just ask any Christian living a bold faith.

Let's close by looking at Paul and Silas.  I love to think of these two
men sitting in the stocks of a dark jail after being beaten simply for
preaching Christ and healing a demon-possessed girl.  And in that
horrible situation, the Bible tells us "they were praying and singing
hymns to God" (Acts 16:25).  Their love for Jesus Christ could not be
tempted or compromised.  As such, through a mighty miracle of God, they
were able to see their jailer and his family call on Jesus to be their
Savior.

Do you want to live a life of silent faith with no controversy and
little opportunity for great victories?  Then don't even think about
"going rogue."

But if you're looking for the adventure and excitement of seeing what
Jesus Christ can accomplish through your faith in Him, throw caution and
hesitation to the wind and make "going rogue" for God a way of life.

--
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,
but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to