[CS-FSLUG] Death of the Net

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Thu Mar 26 04:01:19 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:14 AM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
>        I see information flowing to the point where people don't care what
> device they are using, though.

The problem with the death of the desktop/internet as we know it, and
with pre-packaged "Internet" is that the content providers will also
be the controllers. At least, that is what is being envisioned. No
"Web" just Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. Of course, this is just a
return to the days of Compuserve and AOL. But it is the
de-democratization of the Internet--or maybe, someone would argue, the
de-anarichization (sic) of the Interweb. The truth is, even should the
desktop die, I doubt that it will be entirely controlled by
centralized powers--at least not unless other things happen--but in
that case, it won't last long. :-)

Of course, all this fails to take into account other changes taking
place. for instance, someone mentioned TVs as not being good enough
resolution. HM. I've seen some amazing large-screen TVs with amazing
resolution. Also, already Nokia has software (and hardware?) to
display the N8x0 series tablets on larger screens, including computer
screens, projectors and flat-screen TVs. Also, with the iPhone and
Android, we are already seeing the "full web" on handheld devices.
There are things bringing changes, but this is not necessarily the end
of the world as we know it. Just the end of the world as we thought we
knew it... I think of how my grandparents went from no electricity, no
cars, no telephones--no flying--and by the time my granddad died, by
brother was writing programs and playing games on his VIC-20, and
amazing him. My dad lived through the depression, and now uses Linux
and Macs. ;-) Change is the only constant.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland