[CS-FSLUG] Hmmm, something not good with IMAP

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Tue Mar 24 06:57:19 CDT 2009

On Monday 23 March 2009 10:05:13 pm Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> With IMAP, one has to watch the clients one uses.  Kontact uses Kmail as
> a component, if I remember rightly, and I learned to distrust Kmail's
> IMAP capability.  Thunderbird is very good with IMAP, as is Outlook
> 2007; Outlook 2003 is not.  Evolution is OK.
>
> I don't think you actually lost the email; I think you are seeing a
> problem with IMAP "subscription".  In IMAP, folders often have to be
> "subscribed" to be seen, and in poorly written IMAP clients, the
> subscriptions can vanish.  Figure out how to "subscribe" to IMAP folders
> in Kontact (it's very possibly a right-click on an account object icon
> somewhere), and you'll see at least one invisible folder, possibly several.

Thanks Jonathan. I figured out that when I was witnessing the disappearing act
it was messages that were deleted on the other computer, and kmail updating
itself.

At the moment everything is working good. My only problem is my kmail filters
are not being applied. I am starting to suspect my procmail rules are
interfering with how IMAP works.

I get this popup when I try to create or fix my filters with kmail.

"At least one filter targets a folder on an online IMAP account. Such filters
will only be applied when manually filtering and when filtering incoming
online IMAP mail."

> > Has anyone seen any of the following symptoms with IMAP
> >
> > If I fetch my mail on one or the other computer, there isn't a copy on
> > the other.
> >
> > just a few minutes ago, there was mail in my IMAP folder that Kontact
> > automatically created, I clicked on a different folder, then went back to
> > the IMAP folder and I watched all my messages disappear.
> >
> > I have no idea where they went.
> >
> > I also sent Ron a reply from my laptop, and that mail ended up on my
> > desktop with no copy on my laptop.
> >
> > any ideas

Blessings,
David M.