[CS-FSLUG] Hmmm, something not good with IMAP

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Mon Mar 23 21:05:13 CDT 2009

With IMAP, one has to watch the clients one uses.  Kontact uses Kmail as
a component, if I remember rightly, and I learned to distrust Kmail's
IMAP capability.  Thunderbird is very good with IMAP, as is Outlook
2007; Outlook 2003 is not.  Evolution is OK.

I don't think you actually lost the email; I think you are seeing a
problem with IMAP "subscription".  In IMAP, folders often have to be
"subscribed" to be seen, and in poorly written IMAP clients, the
subscriptions can vanish.  Figure out how to "subscribe" to IMAP folders
in Kontact (it's very possibly a right-click on an account object icon
somewhere), and you'll see at least one invisible folder, possibly several.

J.E.B.