[CS-FSLUG] wireless networking for beginners?

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Mon Mar 23 19:06:51 CDT 2009

On Monday 23 March 2009 6:27:57 pm Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Ron Thompson wrote:

> >> Correct, then for the best security, use Personal WPA2 with AES.

> > Thanks guys,
> >
> >    it is that simple?

It actually is :-)

> >    What about adhoc networking?

IMHO wireless adhoc aren't that great because with an adhoc network the nodes
"compete" for access to the shared wireless network and it creates what is
called a "collision".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_(telecommunications)

Here's a pdf about adhoc

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/grid:mobicom01/paper.pdf

> >    I'd like to have
> > different computers network with each other, and if only one has internet
> > access, have the others bridge to the internet through it.

If I understand what you are trying to ask then, If you set up your network as
I explained, each computer will connect independently to the router
eliminating the need to bridge through the computer.

Then in order to network your computers with each other, you can use Samba.

> > I should probably get a book on networking in general.

That would be better.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net