[CS-FSLUG] wireless networking for beginners?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Mar 23 17:27:57 CDT 2009

Ron Thompson wrote:
> On Sunday 22 March 2009 20:27, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> David McGlone wrote:

>>> Hi Ron, I don't think there would be enough information on wireless
>>> networks to make a book, unless it was about 4 pages long.
>>>
>>> Basically it's the same as a wired network, minus the cables.
>>>
>>> If your wanting a home wireless network, usually most of your preference
>>> settings will be on your router.
>>>

>>> I have my router set up to get my dynamic IP from my ISP, but I turn off
>>> the DHCP on the router and I assign each of my computers a fixed IP
>>> within the IP pool of my router.
>>>
>>> For example, my router uses the fixed IP's using the router's IP pool of
>>> IP's between 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.100
>>>
>>> After I select these options, you'll also need to supply the router with
>>> an ESSID.
>>>
>>> Finally, set up your distro using the settings you specified in your
>>> router.
>>>
>>> I have my 1st computers IP as 192.168.2.2 and my laptop is 192.168.2.3
>>> and so on and so forth, then specify which ESSID you want to connect to,
>>> and finally specify your password if you set one up in the router
>>> settings. Personally I use MAC address filtering and a firewall, and I do
>>> not broadcast my ESSID.
>> Correct, then for the best security, use Personal WPA2 with AES.
>>
>> Fred
>
> Thanks guys,
>
>    it is that simple?   What about adhoc networking?  I'd like to have
> different computers network with each other, and if only one has internet
> access, have the others bridge to the internet through it.  I should probably
> get a book on networking in general.

That would be a good idea. I CAN tell you from FIRST HAND experience,
that if you want to pursue this, DO NOT ALLOW ANY MickySoft systems on
the LAN....PERIOD!! There's NO WAY to really secure them, in particular
with wifi. WPA2 with AES helps with outside attacks, but it won't help
with user stupidity or errors. ;)

Fred

--
"The fundamental premise of liberalism is the moral and
rational incapacity of the American people." ~ Fred Miller