[CS-FSLUG] Hmmm, something not good with IMAP

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Sun Mar 22 22:42:08 CDT 2009

David McGlone wrote:
> Has anyone seen any of the following symptoms with IMAP
>
> If I fetch my mail on one or the other computer, there isn't a copy on the
> other.
>
> just a few minutes ago, there was mail in my IMAP folder that Kontact
> automatically created, I clicked on a different folder, then went back to the
> IMAP folder and I watched all my messages disappear.
>
> I have no idea where they went.
>
> I also sent Ron a reply from my laptop, and that mail ended up on my desktop
> with no copy on my laptop.

Sounds like one of two things:

1 - One computer is really using POP rather than IMAP and
downloading/deleting the messages from the server. (Or any computer
pointed to the box fetching with POP3.)

2 - The settings are such that only unread messages are shown, so when
you read the message on one computer it is marked as read and not shown
on the other.

sjm