[CS-FSLUG] Linux is really frustrating.

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:56:06 CST 2009

I was impressed with its speed compared to Freespire, lightning fast,
and with its ease of setup.  When I first booted it took only three
key clicks for it to find the port to the internet (Eth0 card to
Router to Cable Modem) and configure it.  Less than 20 seconds and it
was online.  Also, when I tried several file types, .wav, .pdf, .jpg,
it found the correct program to run them and displayed the information
without prompting.  What I really like is the way it keeps you
informed with very robust instructions on screen and descriptions of
what it is doing and what to expect.  It never leaves you wondering
what its doing or what to do next.  BUT...I still havent got the
printer configured.

On 3/3/09, Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Jim Isbell, W5JAI <jim.isbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I solved the wav file problem.  I dumped Freespire in favor of Puppy
>  > which runs flawlessly.

> > but Puppy is faster and it works so I doubt that I will go back once I
>  > ramp up the learning curve.
>

> Puppy isn't difficult, but it _is_ different--and quirky. I love
>  playing with it, but in actual use, we use it primarily for browsing
>  the web, and nothing more. It runs great on 10 yr old tech, which
>  keeps a Dell laptop of that vintage in action, and relieves our kids'
>  Mac Miini for more "serious" work. ;-) Puppy is fortunate in that
>  there is tons of information out there, and a large community. If you
>  are also the "quirky" type, you will love Puppy, like me. ;-)
>

>  --
>   -Jon Glass
>  Krakow, Poland
>  <jonglass at usa.net>
>
>  "I don't believe in philosophies. I believe in fundamentals." --Jack Nicklaus

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."