[CS-FSLUG] kde on Ubuntu Studio?

l4c l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Tue Jun 2 10:55:54 CDT 2009

Dave & Ella McMullen wrote:
>     I recently installed Ubuntu Studio on both my laptop and desktop.  But
> I need some advice.
>     I am much more at home with KDE (been using Mepis for years).  But I
> don't know which (if any) of the packages that show up when I do a
> search in synaptic for "kde" is the one to install.  Furthermore, I
> don't know if installing KDE will as my desktop will make Ubuntu
> STudio less compatible with my purposes in installing it.
>     I want to use it for all the normal things such as email, internet
> access, word-processing, etc. but in addition I want to be able to use
> it as a "Studio" to make and modify videos for missionary work, and
> for edification of the Body of Christ.
>     What can you tell me - for the moment especialy about installiong KDE?
>                                         Thanks Dave McMullen

The package you are looking for will most likely be named "kde-desktop"
or "kubuntu-desktop".  It's a meta package that will include all the kde
goodies that you are normally used to.  Just keep in mind that after the
install, you'll want to log out and choose kde instead of gnome as your
default session at your login screen.  As far as your programs,
installing kde will do just that, install kde.  Nothing that you
currently have installed on that machine will be uninstalled.  Further,
any program you have on there should run fine under either environment
since you have both library sets installed.

--Linc.