[CS-FSLUG] OT: My wife is from this small town in NY.

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 10:06:41 CST 2009

[I hesitate to answer to this thread as the moderator has spoken and I
doubt anyone's attitude or view will be changed, but as it was probably
directed more at me than others, I will respond once with this message.]

>>> You haven't seen what I've seen, Ed.

>>> Nor have you seen what I have.

Nor what I have seen.  My father was a university professor in the US
that had many from the Muslim areas of the world in his classes (Turkey,
Saudi Arabia, Iran, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.) and invited them over to
the house. Also, in trying to be "light" and "salt" taught at a
university in Malaysia for about four years off and on.

I don't deny that there are radical extremist Muslims in the world just
as there are radical extremist Christians (e.g. blowing up abortion
clinics) or that there are radical extremist Jews or that there are
radical extremist "xyz"ians.  What I take issue with is that *all* one
and a half billion Muslims (two of every nine people in the world) are
radical extremists.  (Are all Christians blowing up abortion clinics?)

To focus only on the extremist Muslims only spreads fear.  If we rant
against the FUD from one large software company, why do we spread FUD in
another area?

I don't deny that as Christians, we are "at war", but our Lord tells us
that it is "not against flesh and blood".  Our Lord calls us to love our
enemies and to pray for those that persecute us.  Does spreading FUD
about Muslims help us in this regard?  I would argue that it doesn't as
evidenced by this:

> ...came down to this. Having a Godly attitude towards these people you
> talk about was hampered by the articles and commentary you sent.

As was said,

> ...our scriptural mandate is to evangelize the world in
> hopes that the message of the gospel in the hands of our God will
> change their hearts.

Our Lord was known as a friend of sinners.  If we only learn to fear
those that hold different views than us, how will we be able to be their
friend and show them the love of God?

Our priority one in this life as Christians is to glorify God and share
with others this love of God so that they can know him too.

> These actions reflect little of the desire of our Savior for
> them to be in heaven with Him. Our way of life, our country, our very
> lives are nothing to lose if it means we have a better chance to gain
> a church of believers in these lands of the deceived and daily dieing
> for lack of the truth. They can not take our God from us and that's
> all we ultimately have to lose. Is this not the example of our own
> Jesus Christ, the one that the certain Jews wanted to lead an army
> against the oppressive government? Did He not refuse and chose to die
> instead?

One could argue that our Lord was executed by radical Jews through the
hands of the Romans.  Does that mean that we should hate the Jews or
Romans?  Or do we really hear the words of Jesus while he was being
executed "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are
doing"? Can we repeat these same words and attitude for the Muslims
(extremist and non-extremist) we hear about or run into [Father, forgive
them; for they do not know what they are doing]?

Anyway, that's enough for now.  And, if I may be so bold, may I suggest
that each one of us take a few minutes today to pray for the Muslims
that you hear or read about today?

sjm

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4696 (20091217) __________

http://www.eset.com