[CS-FSLUG] Ex-Muslim's college speech disrupted by arson.

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Dec 7 15:05:58 CST 2009

On 12/06/2009 11:00 PM, sjm wrote:

>>> According to a friend of mine who is an anthropologist working in
>>> Islamic Studies, only about 10% of Muslims adhere to the more militant
>>> strains. We need to keep in mind that, much like Christianity, in many
>>> places Islam intermingles with other elements as something
>>> syncretistic...
>>
>> With all due respect to your friend, I don't buy it.....NOT based on
>> what I know to be true from personal experience and that of others,
>> including some in the military IN Iraq, Afghanistan, and several in
>> Pakistan.
>
> You should realize that your sample is small and biased, I would hope.
>
> According to the Pew Research Center, if you had talked to EVERY
> muslim in those three countries, you would have only talked to about
> 15% of the muslims of the world (Afghaniston - 1.8%, Iraq - 2%, and
> Pakistan - 11.1%) and those would be in some of the more
> extreme/militant areas of the muslim world (and I'm not going into how
> the war and opinions of the military might bias a sample from those
> countries).

I can only judge by what I know to be true, as well as logic. A real
Muslim follows the Quran...ALL of it's dictates. A REAL Christian
follows the Bible and ALL of it's dictates. Thus, I know what a real
Muslim is. Further, my primary occupation puts me in a different
position than the rest of you, where I am aware of a great deal
more.....I see "more," experience more, hear more, and have had my
carcass as a possible target on one occasion last year. I am not at
liberty to discuss anything further, but I'll just classify it as
"security" and leave it at that..../*don't*/ ask.

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA!
'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'