[CS-FSLUG] Practicing What We Preach

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Dec 6 15:13:27 CST 2009

*Practicing What We Preach*

/Jonathan Falwell/

An Associated Press story this week about actress Sandra Bullock brought
home the importance of Christians living upright and honorable lives.

Ms. Bullock, who portrays Leigh Anne Tuohy in the new film "The Blind
Side," said she observed the Christian mother to "walk the walk" of her
faith.  The movie recounts the story of the white Tuohy family welcoming
a homeless young African American teen into their home, later adopting
him as their son.  That young man, Michael Oher, is today an offensive
lineman for the NFL's Baltimore Ravens after being that team's
first-round draft pick earlier this year.  The film is one of the great
hits at the box office right now.

Ms. Bullock told the AP that the Tuohys, who attend Grace Evangelical
Church in Memphis, allowed her to have "faith in those who say they
represent a faith."  "[Mrs. Tuohy] was so open and honest and
forthright," Ms. Bullock said, "and I said, wow, I finally met someone
who practices but doesn't preach."

The actress noted that she had observed other Christians who promoted
their faith but did not live their life as they preached, even admitting
to the AP that she was wary of Christians before she met the Tuohys.

This is an important message for Christians.  I think that we can't be
reminded enough that people are observing us---many of those people
tainted by the poor testimony of others who have claimed to be Christians.

I think we can observe in this story how imperative it is that we are
not only effectively talking about our faith in Jesus Christ, we are
also living moral, principled lives that would please God and show those
who are scrutinizing us that we are real.

You know, young hunters are taught the importance of aiming well before
firing.  Similarly, in the Christian life, I think we need to learn how
to live out our faith before "firing" with our words.  I'm not
suggesting in the least that our witnessing is not important because God
has certainly called us to reach others with the Gospel.  But this AP
story indicates how crucial it is to earn people's trust, especially in
this present age that distrusts Christianity.

There is great power in our testimony but only when we are living holy
lives that bolster our words.

I think it behooves every Christian to do an occasional self-evaluation
in order to ensure that there are not impediments to our being effective
spokespersons and apologists for Jesus Christ.  Our friends and
neighbors and co-workers need to be able to see us as Sandra Bullock has
identified Leigh Anne Tuohy.

We live in a fallen world, my friends.  As Christians, we need to be
constantly showing others that Christ in us makes all the difference in
the world.

Since my father's passing in May 2008, I have attempted to live out the
maxim, "Not I, but Christ."

That is a fitting conclusion to this column.  We are nothing without
Christ and we must ensure that we are constantly calling attention to
Him as we humbly seek to show others that He --- and only He --- is the
way to eternal life.

Preach it.  But always make sure you're also living it.

--
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,
but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to