[CS-FSLUG] Linksys WRT54GL with openwrt

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Jun 23 09:15:06 CDT 2008

Well, I have not experimented with OpenWRT, but I can offer how we
have it set up with the standard firmware at my church, which has the
largest deployment I've installed. For the moment, it is a fairly
basic. We have two connected to each other in the office -- one takes
the DSL in directly and has its firewall turned off. It is used solely
as a wired router that feeds static IP systems connected directly to
the internet. A second router, with wireless, NAT, firewall, etc.,
turned on, feeds the wired and wireless computers inside the church
office (it is attached to a 16-port switch to do the job).

 From there, we have four other units installed at strategic locations
around the building that are connected back to the 16 port switch via
Cat 6 cable (we're ready for the switch to Gig-E and Wireless N
eventually). These serve only as access points, with DHCP, NAT,
firewall, etc., all disabled. Critically, all of these are connected
to the main switch via one of their four standard ports and not the
WAN port, which will not allow normal communication in such a
configuration.

The eventual plan is to place a RADIUS server back in the offer to do
authentication. I'm debating about whether to hack something together
on Linux (since no major distro seems to have a supported RADIUS and
Directory Service solution) or finding the money to deploy Mac OS X
10.5 Leopard, which comes with RADIUS integrated with its Open
Directory server.

	-Tim