[CS-FSLUG] Linksys WRT54GL with openwrt

Josiah Ritchie josiah at ritchietribe.net
Tue Jun 24 06:59:16 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Last week we just received 30 of the WRT54G with plans to install
> openwrt on them all.  Last month we deployed only one of these as a test
> - so far so good.  We have not yet enabled wireless.  Would you care to
> share your ideas on how wireless should be configured (perhaps an example)?
>
> I'm wondering about other capabilities of openwrt?
>
> Simple case would be to not broadcast that wireless device exists; and
> only be usable by known mac addresses.  I guessing I could maintain a
> master list and push this to all my devices; so that laptops will "just
> work" in any location.
>
> Fancier setup might allow access to unknown mac addresses on different
> subnet and restricted (slow) bandwidth to internet.
>
> Most devices will have dynamic ip; is there some (easy) way that I can
> maintain a list of current ip addresses in use.  I do have at least one
> server with static ip address where I could keep the master list.
> dyndns has a limit of 5 sites per account.

If you're talking about authenticating 30 WAPs to the same basic
database of users, then you might want to consider 802.1x or
RADIUS(a.k.a. AAA). This would provide a beefy authentication that
would depend on a central server. You'd only have to change it one
place one time. I'm pretty sure DD-WRT can do that as I've messed
around with it but I don't know how OpenWRT might differ. I know both
support something called chillispot which is basically these
technologies brought together in the same way that a typical coffee
shop or hotel might do it. It is an open source solution to wireless
device/user authentication. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChilliSpot

JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen