[CS-FSLUG] OpenSolaris Users?

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Dec 27 08:46:48 CST 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
> Do they do security backports? That's the big deal, in my estimation.
> When upstream quits doing pure security updates for a given package,
> RH continues to make sure that security updates in later major/minor
> releases get backported to the distro's major/minor version.

I seem to recall they simply bump up the version of the affected
application, built on the same lib environment as the main release. RHEL
has done this on a few items. For example, in the 4.x release they moved
from Mozilla 1.x to Seamonkey 1.x, changing all the dependency tags, etc.

> Debian also isn't very well supported by cPanel, which takes it out
> of consideration for me as a web hosting environment. I like Debian
> though, no doubt about it.

It seems they prefer you do servers the hard way. For example, I'm
testing their Lenny AMD64 port, and the only way you'll get any 32-bit
action is to build a jail for it. The entire system and available
userland stuff is pure 64-bit.

--
Ed Hurst