[CS-FSLUG] OpenSolaris Users?

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sat Dec 27 09:45:46 CST 2008

This is all the basic rub, with Linux packaging+library standards.  And
non-package app delivery standards run into Linux P+L as a brick wall.
Just for one instance:  I have an old eight-core server with two gigs of
RAM, built for RH Enterprise 3 and still running it nicely.  I would
have loved to add a number of things into it, convert it into an
application server, but the glib is so old that many things just won't
go without a complete recompile, which would mean getting a whole lot
more dev libraries, et cetera.

This is rather different than Windows 2000 Terminal Server running on
the same hardware.  And it is also why desktop Linux is right now
suitable only for building (a) very functional toys for technicians like
me who feel like spending the time every year or less to reload, (b)
systems for people who are happy without the latest applications,
especially web multimedia content and other application features of
every description, and (c) applications servers for very specific items.

To see it in action, all one has to do is to try to download, and also
compile and run, the latest apps on 64 Studio, a really excellent
Debian-based desktop distro aimed at audio professionals.  64 Studio
gives the lowest latency, hands down, of four different audio-oriented
distros I tried.  But just try to install Adobe Flash from Adobe, on
it.  Try to compile the latest stable versions of its own apps.  You'll
descend into a nightmare.  And it is based on the "stable" Debian: far,
far less than eight years old.

For general U.S. office needs, I could easily imagine using one
substantial server running a good desktop Linux, to serve OpenOffice and
an Outlook replacement.  It would give much better ROI than Microsoft
Office, although it would have to be a location whose people which was
willing to consider one of the drop-in Exchange replacements out there
with very functional web 2.0 interfaces.  There are a few, and they do
work very well.  Might do well for a large church.  I would plan on a
complete software rebuild every three to seven years, and rebuilding one
server is a lot better than MSOffice on all those desktops.

But a commodity desktop replacement, Linux just isn't right now.  If the
architecture were expanded to permit multiple glib versions -- a
seriously huge addition, I do recognize it, it could perhaps constitute
a glib replacement with something different -- then it could be.  And
the server level would also benefit.

J.E.B.