[CS-FSLUG] OpenSolaris Users?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Dec 26 20:40:25 CST 2008

> This is what has pushed me more toward Debian.  They support the
> software for a long time, and you can just enable the Security
> repositories to only get bug fixes and security updates without all
> the
> other updates.

	Do they do security backports? That's the big deal, in my estimation.
When upstream quits doing pure security updates for a given package,
RH continues to make sure that security updates in later major/minor
releases get backported to the distro's major/minor version.

> They also offer a MUCH better upgrade path between
> releases than RH/CentOS.

	Can't say I've attempted a upgrade on RHEL. I ran my last RHEL server
on one release until it was time to retire it -- that works with a 7
year support cycle. I kept the server for 4. I have at least four
years until my current RHEL release EOLs, so no worries again... :-)

	Debian also isn't very well supported by cPanel, which takes it out
of consideration for me as a web hosting environment. I like Debian
though, no doubt about it.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                       -- Karl Barth