[CS-FSLUG] Samba and XP - I found a HOWTO do with XP

HildingE he7316575 at yahoo.se
Mon Mar 5 12:37:09 CST 2007

This I found, but it seems to me that it is a little bit dangerous:

Configuring the Windows XP Client:

Notes : Only Windows XP-Professional Edition can join the Domain, it
does not work for WindowsXP-Home Edition.

STEPS:

1) Make sure that the workstation belonged to the same workgroup as the
server and have a fixed IP address and hostname assigned.

2) Change the registry entry, run the command regedt32 and do the below
a) RequireSignOrSeal Registry hack

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\netlogon\parameters
"RequireSignOrSeal"=dword:00000000

b) Use the Registry Editor and edit the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\CompatibleRUPSecurity
to have the DWORD value of 1

3) Use the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) and enable "Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Do not check
for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders".

4) Go to MyComputer right click Properties. Go to Change and click on
Domain and enter the domain-name you want to join. When joining the
domain for the First time enter userid as root and give the samba
password. Make sure there is an entry for the root in the smbpasswd
(samba password) file.

5) Reboot and then the changes will be effective.

What do You say about this?
Hilding in Sweden

Använder du Yahoo!?
Är du trött på spam?  Yahoo! E-post har det bästa spamskyddet som finns
http://se.mail.yahoo.com