[CS-FSLUG] Anyone else running Ubuntu & Evolution?

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Mar 4 21:19:11 CST 2007

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Nathan T. wrote:

> Ed,
>
> How hard is it to get the multimedia codecs installed? How about
> package management? Does the menu system comply with the Xorg
> standard, or does CentOS use a less-common system like Mandriva?
> Dad would be the one needing the hand holding, I would just need to
> know where to get software from and how to get apt-get like
> functionality along with some repos. I'd be willing to run the
> distribution myself so I can build packages for when dad needs some
> exotic software; however, I wouldn't want to if they don't provide
> adequate care to the KDE packages they distribute.

Codecs: I have them installed. I did it manually, but it's really easy.
Trust me; you can handle this. I'm using them every day.

Menu system is RedHat's. I don't know how close that is to Xorg,
because I use the KDE supplied from outside sources (3.5.6), and it
works wonderfully. The GNOME is older, and not quite so stable. I
suspect the menu is a little different.

Apt is available, but I use Yum; it's built in. I've built from SRPMs
and direct from source, so it really depends on how you plan to use any
package you build. There are two primary additional repositories I use:
one for KDE-current (KDE-RedHat) and another for extras RHEL doesn't
use (RPM-Forge for Kaffeine, Lyx-current, recent support libs, etc.).
Many SRPMs for Fedora releases work quite well.

CentOS has a forum, and the response is pretty decent.

--
Ed Hurst