[CS-FSLUG] Nameserver question

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmx.ch
Mon Dec 24 09:03:20 CST 2007

Micah Yoder wrote:
> Ok, I should know this, but I apparently don't and it's driving me nuts.
>
> I currently have my domains hosted on a virtual server with someone
> who manages my DNS.  My new dedicated server is running bind and the
> provider is slaving from me for the secondary NS.  That's all working.
>  Currently, there is no DNS name that resolves to the IP of my new
> server.
>
> Some domains, say example.com, have nameservers in their own domains;
> i.e. ns.example.com.  I can't figure out how one is supposed to set
> that up.  How can you define a name of a nameserver for the domain
> that includes it???

You have to add "glue". This is: the IP of the nameserver of a certain
domain is stored on the root-server. So called "glue"-records. Depends
on the registrar how to set this up.

> My registrar apparently will not accept an IP address as a nameserver.

Either you can add "glue" or you have to have a friend with an own
domain, who can setup an A-Record for your DNS-Server.

> I also tried (for one of my less important domains) putting in only
> one nameserver, the secondary, which does have a DNS name from the
> provider.  It accepts that -- but now the whole thing does not
> resolve!  Even dnsstuff.com says the domain does not exist!  The whois
> record is still there, though.

Yes, whois is provided by the registrar, and on his servers as soon as
you registered the deomain.
but what do you mena, that the domain does not exist?

do a
dig NS yourdomainnname.com
than you see the DNS-Servers listed for your domain

> Any ideas on how to get around this?

I hope, I could help. In my oppinion the book "DNS and Bind" from
o'reilly is a must for everyone who wants to run an own DNS.

Shalom

Marco