[CS-FSLUG] Nameserver question

Micah Yoder yoderm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 06:04:26 CST 2007

Ok, I should know this, but I apparently don't and it's driving me nuts.

I currently have my domains hosted on a virtual server with someone
who manages my DNS.  My new dedicated server is running bind and the
provider is slaving from me for the secondary NS.  That's all working.
 Currently, there is no DNS name that resolves to the IP of my new
server.

Some domains, say example.com, have nameservers in their own domains;
i.e. ns.example.com.  I can't figure out how one is supposed to set
that up.  How can you define a name of a nameserver for the domain
that includes it???

My registrar apparently will not accept an IP address as a nameserver.

I also tried (for one of my less important domains) putting in only
one nameserver, the secondary, which does have a DNS name from the
provider.  It accepts that -- but now the whole thing does not
resolve!  Even dnsstuff.com says the domain does not exist!  The whois
record is still there, though.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks,
Micah