[CS-FSLUG] Mandriva 2008.0 disappointing.

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Sat Dec 22 12:17:07 CST 2007

* Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> [2007-12-22 10:19:25 -0700]:

>I might just give that a try, I've known that the Windows codecs are 32
>bit only and it may be the case with the commercially licensed ones
>Mandriva has as well. If anyone has any other pointers in how I can fix
>other issues I'd appreciate it.

You may find the 32bit version just plain old works better.
Unfortunately, a lot of OSS seems to forget that 64bit is pretty much
where it's at now.  We have to patch in quite a bit of support to
properly handle 64bit, but there's only so much a vendor can do to fix
someone else's software.

>Mandriva could really benefit from encouraging it's user community to
>write up one wiki-style document on how to modify the distribution to
>look and work better, and then incorporate whichever of those
>improvements they legally can into a "service pack" update of sorts.
>Polish is something that's lacking from every first release of Linux and
>Windows, the difference is that Linux updates rarely seem to incorporate
>fixes that aren't for software malfunctions or security holes.

Well, the cooker list is pretty good for that kind of thing and a lot of
ideas and whatnot that go through it are listened to.  There's also a
public wiki that anyone can write on, as well as bugzilla, and the
mailing lists, so there are a lot of avenues where users can get in
touch and complain or make suggestions.

2008.1 will be the "service pack", so to speak, and that's due out in
Feb/Mar I believe.  And you're right... polish is a big thing that's
lacking for most OS vendors on those initial releases.  Any concrete
suggestions you can make, even here, I'll make sure they get passed on.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/