[CS-FSLUG] wiki for spawning ministry ideas

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Wed Dec 19 14:39:51 CST 2007

* Micah Yoder <yoderm at gmail.com> [2007-12-19 14:18:41 -0600]:

>>  From an admin perspectve it's horrible.  Last I used it, it didn't
>> support mod_perl so it was also quite slow as a result.
>
>I was concerned about that.  Of course, if it gets, say, 2000 page
>views/edits in a day (probably really optimistic), that's just 2000
>Perl processes to fork, and the Core 2 Duo server that's coming should
>be able to handle that with no problem.  If it was 5 hits a second,
>we'd have trouble.

True, but if it gets more popular.... you don't want to deal with
scaling issues later.  Better to have something that will scale well
first.

The other nice thing about Mediawiki is it uses MySQL or PostgreSQL to
store the data.  TWiki uses flat files and rcs to handle version control
which is wildly inefficient.

>> Initial setup is ok IIRC, but anything beyond that was painful.
>
>Ok.  Maybe I'll fire off a note to the guy I know who configured it
>for our organization.

Yeah... most of what I'm recalling is from two years or more ago.  I
could be out to lunch on a few things or TWiki may have improved some
areas since then.

>> MediaWiki's is pretty decent.  Also keep in mind that it runs the most
>> popular wiki on the planet, wikipedia.  So the development/security on
>> it is good, ongoing, and people used to wikipdia will fall into it very
>> easily.
>
>Right, good point.

That's one of the main reasons I settled on it as opposed to some other
wiki implementation (considering how many there are).  I like the idea
of it being in constant development and the load it handles.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/