[CS-FSLUG] wiki for spawning ministry ideas

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Wed Dec 19 12:02:29 CST 2007

* Micah Yoder <yoderm at gmail.com> [2007-12-19 11:44:33 -0600]:

>> Yeah, don't use TWiki.  Really.  I went through the pain of converting
>> two TWiki installs for Mandriva's private and public wikis to MediaWiki
>> about a year or so ago.  MediaWiki is *much* better.  It performs
>> better, is more feature-rich, and better maintained.
>>
>> TWiki is really awful.
>
>Huh.  The organization I had been working for (and SJM still does)
>used it for our internal IT perspective.  From a user perspective, I
>thought it was fine.

 From an admin perspectve it's horrible.  Last I used it, it didn't
support mod_perl so it was also quite slow as a result.

>Setup might be a pain -- I did actually try to set it up once before
>and then sort of abandoned it.  But I did get a basic web going, then
>decided I had no need for it and didn't configure it more.

Initial setup is ok IIRC, but anything beyond that was painful.

>I've seen a matrix of features of various Wikis, and it looked like
>TWiki was generally considered the most featureful.
>
>I'll wait for other opinions here. :)  I suppose the typical user
>won't be a geek, so it's important that the markup language be
>intuitive.

MediaWiki's is pretty decent.  Also keep in mind that it runs the most
popular wiki on the planet, wikipedia.  So the development/security on
it is good, ongoing, and people used to wikipdia will fall into it very
easily.

>> I think you should use something else (if you're not partial to
>> MediaWiki, that's fine, but TWiki was not a lot of fun for us to deal
>> with once the wikis got quite large).
>
>MediaWiki would probably be the logical choice if not TWiki.

I'm quite happy with mediawiki.  I wish I had used it before TWiki
(yeah, my linsec.ca site was running on TWiki before I converted it to
static pages, then converted that to MediaWiki).

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/