[CS-FSLUG] Proprietary Software: Capitalism or Greed?

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Mar 20 11:37:26 CST 2006

freedom/rights
> every day in order to obtain things we want.  They would suggest that
> proprietary software is no different.  What positions would each of
you
> take
> on this argument.  Does circumventing the "fair-use" clause constitute
> grievous harm against our civil rights?
>
> What other arguments support the claim that proprietary software is
about
> greed, not capitalism?  What are the strengths and weaknesses of such
> arguments?  What are your positions on these arguments?  I appreciate
your
> time and thoughts in advance.
>
> Don
> --
> DC Parris

To say without reservation that proprietary software is evil or the like
is to say the equivalent that men should not use their skills to make a
living. The average American view of "making a living" is greedy in my
opinion.

I don't think proprietary software really has to do with the argument
you are posing. At the heart, this is an argument of the regulation of
capitalism which has nothing to do with whether someone else gives away
their products. It is more akin to the argument of censorship than
economics.

Besides, capitalism is driven by greed. They can't really be unwoven
from each other, as you suggest. Capitalism, in my view, is playing
people's greed to society's general benefit, which works out
surprisingly well. In reality, I think a lot of FOSS developers are
driven by greed also. FOSS development is a method to self-advancement
to many first and a set of ideals second. Ideals are quickly set aside
when a proprietary software job presents itself.

If users knew/cared of the danger of using software that is only half of
what it should be, then capitalism would suggest that the software
wouldn't be bought in favor for a more open alternative, all else being
equal.

Anyway, in answer to how strong an argument is it, I think it's a weak
one.

JSR/