[CS-FSLUG] Proprietary Software: Capitalism or Greed?

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Mar 20 11:03:48 CST 2006

Don Parris wrote:
> Recently, Eben Moglen was quoted as saying that proprietary software wasn't
> really about capitalism, but about greed.  While that sounds good, what is the
> basis for such a statement?  The statement is important because it cuts to
> the heart of the defense of proprietary software.

I would add only a qualificationa: *Some* proprietary software is about
greed, not about fair capitalism. Fair and free capitalism does not
allow for near-monopoly leverage to force everyone to live with unfair
restrictions on software licensing. Fair and free capitalism doesn't
permit outright lying to promote your product, either. Lying to the
potential customer -- which is most advertising you see today -- reduces
the element of freedom in choice.

--
Ed Hurst