[CS-FSLUG] Proprietary Software: Capitalism or Greed?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Mar 20 19:11:50 CST 2006

I think it is unjustifiable. There is nothing intrinsic about either
proprietary or FOSS software that is greedy or not, it is why people
do what they do with it. MySQL may be more greedy by luring people
into thinking they can develop anything on top of their db before the
developer realizes she must get a license "just to be safe" if she is
going to keep the code internal (even if it is unpublished)... I'm
not saying they are, just saying they *could* *be*.

Ultimately, it comes down to a lot more than greed. A good example
comes out of my own small amount of programming. I've written a CMS
called SAFARI. I released the first version under the GPL, but
version 2, which is much different, I have not released at all. I've
contemplated GPL'ing it, but I don't know if I should -- do I really
want to put my code up for public scrutiny? Since I'm not looking to
develop in the bazaar model, essentially I'm exposing my code to
those who might want to break into it without an increase in
developer power. But my primary job isn't developing code, hence why
I'm not sure I'm interested in a bazaar model -- I want to take my
time developing it the way I want it.

Or, consider Apple. Darwin's kernel was FOSS, but lately, Apple has
quit releasing the x86 versions under  the FOSS Darwin Project
umbrella. Why? Because they cannot afford to aid those who would use
that FOSS code to undermine the sales of the products (hardware) that
pays the developers for that code (by learning ways to circumvent the
protection module that keeps Mac OS X from running on generic PC's
illegally). Maybe that's greed, but if I like Mac OS X, it is in my
interest to insure that those developers keep getting paid.

Also, many niche products simply aren't used by enough large
companies that even a collaborative FOSS development project could
replace them. If the software wasn't proprietary, it probably
wouldn't be...

	-Tim