[CS-FSLUG] Eastern disciplines in regard to our faith.

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 01:44:20 CST 2006

On 3/14/06, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip> Except we meditate on God's Word we
> have no foundation on which to stand when challenged by the storms of
> life, or the enemy of our souls.  This surely cannot be accomplished
> with an empty mind.

Don, you are quite right.  It's very easy for me and others to wag our
fingers at New Age practices and programs; it's quite another thing to offer
some helpful, concrete advice as to developing a deeper, prayer-relationship
with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

So let me make three concrete suggestions; I have personally found all of
these resources to be helpful; YMMV:

(1)  There is another audio series available for free download via
EWTN.comthat I think can provide some hearty "meat and potatoes" as
well as the
"appetizer and desert" to those who are hungering after instruction as to
deepening their prayer-lives and just aren't quite sure how to go about it:

Prayer Quest, with Fr. Thomas Dubay

http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=840549426&T1=prayer

It's a 13-part series; each segment is approx. 30 minutes, and the
recordings are in realaudio format, the same as with the Pacwa series.

(2)  Don's stressing the importance of Biblical meditation is, IMO, right on
target.  One resource that helped me in this regard was an essay on "lectio
divina" ("sacred reading") by an anonymous author, which I now host on my
personal website:

The Practice of Lectio Divina

http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/LectioDivina.html
http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/files/LectioDivina.rtf
http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/files/LectioDivina.pdf

(3)  "Part Four" of the Catechism of the Catholic Church is all about
Christian prayer; it treats of the "theoretical" and practical aspects of
prayer, and I found it to be truly inspiring and helpful:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p4s1.htm

And now, it's time (well past time, actually) for me to hit the sack!   ;-)

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
My home on the Net ::