[CS-FSLUG] Eastern disciplines in regard to our faith.

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 00:26:03 CST 2006

On 3/13/06, 'Mash <re.mash at gmail.com> wrote:
> Surprisingly the "Harry Pottery" is still holding much water.
> So in light of the evidently strong opinions of the mailing list I
> will throw another vessel into the kiln.
>
> Does anyone have any objections against practising an Eastern
> discipline such as Thai Chi or Yoga ?
>
> Now as most no longer involve the "spirituality" the were practised
> for and with, they still are products of the original "occult."
>
> So is practising them dangerous to ones faith or can we separate them
> into purely physical exercise ?

I believe that the physical act, in and of itself, is of little
consequence.  I definitely consider the act of meditating on
non-biblical texts crossing the line.  I also consider the practice of
"emptying" out the mind to be very dangerous.  I have found no
reference in Scripture to any need to empty out our minds, as is the
practice of the Eastern religions.  I believe the call is to meditate
on God's Word "day and night".  Except we meditate on God's Word we
have no foundation on which to stand when challenged by the storms of
life, or the enemy of our souls.  This surely cannot be accomplished
with an empty mind.

Thus, an eastern form of physical activity, combined with Biblical
meditation, might well be worthwhile.  However, I do emphasize the
importance of Biblical meditation.

Blessings,
Don
--